Legal advice

When there is a need to make an application to the Court, the Children and Family Community Services will take legal advice at the earliest opportunity.

Discussion should be had between the social worker and their team manager and then advice taken from the lawyer representing Children's Services. This may occur at any time when there is a need to secure a child's safety and will be before any action is taken.

A record of the advice given should be made, and the other agencies involved in the planning should be informed as soon as possible.  This legal advice refers only to that available to Children's Services. Other States services have their own internal procedures in place for legal advice.