Parents and Carers

Where to get advice and support.

If you are a parent or carer and believe your child is in need of additional support you can contact the Multi-Agency Support Hub (MASH) to discuss your concerns and see what support is available.

The MASH can direct you to the most appropriate services for support, can organise multi-agency support if needed and can identify if social work support is required.

For more information about the MASH and multi-agency support follow the links below:

Multi-Agency Support Hub

Early help - Team Around the Child and Lead Professional

You can also access support services through your GP, or other health or education professionals (like health visitors, school nurses and teachers) who can refer for specialist support.

There are many local and national agencies that offer information, support and advice for parents and carers. The list below is not exhaustive but many of the links provide further links to relevant support services.

Local links
Local links

Local support services

CAMHSChild and Adolescent Mental Health Services - referral through a GP or school nurse.
Child Development ServiceA multi-disciplinary team that supports children and young people 0 - 18 with additional needs.
Child protectionIf you are worried about the safety of a child.
Child, Youth and Community TribunalExplains the Child, Youth and Community Tribunal and the role of the Children's Convenor.
Children's Community NursesInformation about health visiting, school nursing and the children's community nurse.
Children's Dental ServiceInformation and advice about children's dental health, services available and eligibility.
Domestic abuseInformation and advice about domestic abuse and the local domestic abuse strategy.
Drug and Alcohol StrategyInformation on the local drug and alcohol strategy and where to find support for problem drug or alcohol use.
Education support servicesInformation on services and support for additional educational needs.
Family Proceedings Advisory ServiceFormerly known as the Safeguarder Service, Family Proceedings Advisors represent the views of children and young people involved in family court proceedings
Kindred Family CentreSupport services for children and parents provided through drop-in sessions, group work, individual work and courses for adults.
Legal AidWhere and how to get legal aid.
Looked After ChildrenInformation about services for children who are looked after by the Committee for Health and Social Care.
Maternity servicesInformation and advice about local maternity services, pregnancy, giving birth and postnatal care.
Mental healthGives information about local mental health services and how to get support.
QuitlineAdvice and support for giving up smoking.
Restorative JusticeInformation about the restorative justice process, the various approaches taken and the local strategy.
Speech and Language TherapyExplains what to expect from speech and language therapy and how to get support.
Sexual HealthInformation about the Orchard Centre and other sexual health services in Guernsey and Alderney.
SIGNPOST.GGHow to find help for children with disabilities and their parents/carers.
Victim Support and Witness ServiceThe Bailiwick of Guernsey Victim Support and Witness Service is an independent charitable organisation providing support for victims and witnesses of crime.


Local links

Additional links to local charities providing support services

AfC ACTION FOR CHILDREN GUERNSEY - support for young people with housing, accommodation, employability and substance misuse issues
AA  Alcoholics Anonymous Guernsey - for help and support with problem drinking.
AL-ANON Family Group  AL-ANON Family Group - for the relatives of problem drinkers.

Autism Guernsey Autism Guernsey - dedicated to improving the lives of adults and children on the autism spectrum.

Bright Beginnings Bright Beginnings - Nursery and pre-school children's centre.
Drug Concern Drug Concern - works with individuals and families, helping people whose lives are affected by drug or alcohol use.
Guernsey Alcohol Advisory Service Guernsey Alcohol Advisory Service - helping people to overcome situations caused by their use of alcohol.
Guernsey Arts Commission Guernsey Arts Commission - provides opportunities for people who have little access or means to participate in arts activities.
Guernsey Mind Guernsey Mind - provides information, support and advice to promote good mental health.
Guernsey Sports Commission Guernsey Sports Commission - aims to promote physical activity and sport for all ages and abilities.
Home Start Home Start - support for children, parents and families.
The Hub The HUB - free help and advice for young people - under 18. Anyone can refer.
Safer Safer - support for victims of domestic abuse.
Wigwam Wigwam - offers friendship, support and advice to the families of children and young people with additional needs.
Youth Commission Youth Commission for Guernsey and Alderney - aims to engage young people in positive activities that support their personal and social development.
National links


Links to UK national organisations

National organisations providing information, advice and support for parents/carers

Alcohol Concern Alcohol Concern - a national charity working to reduce the problems that can be caused by alcohol.
Bullying UK Bullying UK - advice about bullying.
Childnet International Childnet International - information about how to keep children safe online.
Children's Society CSE - information and advice from The Children's Society on child sexual exploitation.
Family Lives Family Lives - a national family support charity providing help and support in all aspects of family life. Includes a confidential helpline - 0808 800 2222
Talk to FRANK FRANK - friendly, confidential drugs advice.
Hideout The Hideout - help and support for the children of victims of domestic abuse.
Kidscape Kidscape - advice about bullying.
Men's Advice Line  Men's Advice Line - for male victims of domestic violence and abuse.
NSPCC NSPCC - the UK's leading children's charity, preventing abuse and helping those affected to recover.
NWG NWG - tackling child sexual exploitation - information for parents and carers.
PACE UK Pace UK - advice and support for parents whose children might be in exploitative relationships.
Parent Info Parent Info - expert information to help children and young people stay safe online.
Respect Phoneline Respect Phoneline - for perpetrators of domestic violence and abuse
ThinkUKnow Thinkuknow - information, advice and support with internet safety, relationships and online abuse.
Women's aid Women's Aid - information and support for women affected by domestic abuse.


You may also like